Future of Work 2016-10-28T16:30:48+00:00

1. Knowledge is now a commodity, and our kids are digital natives.

In a world where you can look up a fact in minutes and learn what you need to on demand, in a world where there’s TOO MUCH knowledge for one human mind to master, what kind of learning and skill development makes sense?

2. The New Machine Age – technological innovation is changing current jobs and roles

From a US News & World Report article, 2014, Robots May Disrupt Half of all U.S. Jobs:

“The Pew Research Center recently surveyed a group of scientists and other analysts. Of these experts, 48 percent said robotic advances will have displaced a significant number of blue and white collar jobs by 2025, while the other 52 percent predicted innovation will create new industries. A big fear expressed in Pew’s survey was that schools are not preparing students with the technological skills needed for new types of jobs that may emerge in a rapidly innovating economy.”

3. New jobs and roles means different skills are neededLearning by Doing book cover photo, author James Bessen

“There will be jobs, but workers will only be able to get them if they have the new sets of skills that computers make important. It’s not just computer skills that are in demand, because automation can change the nature of jobs.”

The Atlantic, Jan 19, 2016, “The Automation Paradox”, by James Bessemer, author of “Learning by Doing: the Real Connection between Innovation, Wages and Wealth.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/04/scarce-skills-not-scarce-jobs/390789/

4. Employers need more “skilled” people than they can find

Slide06

 

5. Students may have to ‘invent’ a job, rather than apply for it.

…there is increasingly no such thing as a high-wage, middle-skilled job — the thing that sustained the middle class in the last generation. Now there is only a high-wage, high-skilled job.

Thomas L. Friedman, 2013 article, “Need a Job? Invent it.

…what you know matters far less than what you can do with what you know. The capacity to innovate — the ability to solve problems creatively or bring new possibilities to life — and skills like critical thinking, communication and collaboration are far more important than academic knowledge.

Tony Wagner, quoted in “Need a Job? Invent it.

Learn more about the growing “Gig Economy” by reading this FastCompany article, or exploring John Moravec’s Knowmad Society work.